- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Pumpkin Cake Roll
"We loved this roll!!! Even the girls that are somewhat picky loved it! I have baked it several times and always receive many compliments!"
"I make this every year for Thanksgiving it is a hit..Really good...."
"I have been baking this roll for over 5 years now and it is absolutely the best roll ever. It is become a tradition in my family."
"I'm getting ready to make and was wondering doesn't the cake roll break up when you unroll to put in filling? I'm giving this a 5 already because I like anything pumpkin and am sure this will taste great."
"I was intimidated by the recipe at first, because it looked complicated and like it could go wrong easily. But I followed the steps exactly and the pumpkin roll turned out perfect - beautiful and delicious! So happy I made this recipe, it's fantastic."
"This didn't impress me. I've been making pumpkin rolls for years using this recipe. There is no need to separate the eggs and beat anything in separate bowls. Just throw all the ingredients into one bowl and mix. It's that easy. And the texture is a lot better... No holes in the batter. Also, I use an entire tsp. of salt."
"This is really good. I love the towel idea. It helps a lot."