Favorite Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 large carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound small onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in oil. Combine the salt, pepper and thyme; sprinkle over meat. Add bay leaf and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and onions. Cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Skim fat from pan juices; add enough water to pan juices to measure 2 cups. In a bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Slice roast; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 523 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 693 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.