- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place on greased baking sheets. Press flat with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Favorite Molasses Cookies
Sort By :
"I prepared these cookies actually 7/20/14-I'd mixed the dough on 7/19/14, put dough in an empty Cool Whip container, covered, and chilled the dough overnight! What I did do was add 1 tsp. salt to the sifted dry ingredients! I found that I actually didn't NEED to flatten the balls of dough as the cookies rose, then flattened naturally in the oven!. I had slightly flattened some of the cookie balls slightly with my fingers after rolling them in cinnamon-sugar! I also only baked at 8 minutes! They came out really nicely for me and weren't overly browned! These cookies made LESS than 6 dozen! The yield was actually about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 dozen, depending on the size of the dough balls! I've learned to make smaller dough balls or drop dough in smaller amounts by a teaspoon to get more mileage out of a cookie recipe! Thank you, Marjorie Jenkins for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! This recipe is a keeper! I admit that I DO use at least another TOH recipe for ginger cookies and that recipe works out just as well! delowenstein"
"These are a total hit at my house. I substituted the white sugar for brown. My children ask for these cookies."
"These are fabulous cookies! My family normally doesn't want cookies unless they involve chocolate chips, but they LOVED these!"
"This is by far the best tasting molasses cookie ever. Most recipes use shortening but using butter adds flavor and a nice texture. Very pleasing flavor!"
"i have made this recipe several times and its requested by friends for their birthdays and at holidays."