Favorite Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Sliced ripe olives, guacamole, chopped tomatoes and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the salsa, beans, enchilada sauce, chilies, taco seasoning and pepper; heat through.
- 2. Spread 1 cup meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with two tortillas, a third of the remaining meat mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas and meat mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with tortilla chips.
- 4. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with olives, guacamole, tomatoes and sour cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 448 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,240 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.