Favorite Mexican Corn Bread
I love to cook and have thought about submitting some of my recipes for a long time. My supportive and encouraging mom finally convinced me to stop thinking about it...and do it! I often serve this corn bread with chili.
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. In another
- bowl, combine buttermilk and egg; add corn and remaining
- ingredients. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Pour
- batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. Yield: 9
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 235 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium,