I love to cook and have thought about submitting some of my recipes for a long time. My supportive and encouraging mom finally convinced me to stop thinking about it...and do it! I often serve this corn bread with chili.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg; add corn and remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Mexican Corn Bread in Country April/May 1993, p51
Reviews for Favorite Mexican Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review