- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg; add corn and remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Mexican Corn Bread
"This is a gread recipe. I have used it (minus the bacon drippings, and I use the exact amount of finely chopped green pepper instead of the onion) many times. I got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine a couple of years ago and I love it. It goes great with beans or something that does not have a very strong flavor because this bread certainly does."
"I love this recipe! I sometimes include some chopped green chilies, but most of the time I make it just the way the recipe states."