Favorite Meatball Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until the sausage is browned and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. cover and simmer.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the first 8 meatball ingredients; crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 in. balls. Brown in oil; drain. Add to the sauce; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Serve on rolls. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 402 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 913 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Meatball Sandwiches
"I make this at least every other week as we all love these meatballs and they just get better as leftovers. I serve with spaghetti & the sauce is just right. It is definitely a go-to recipe for potlucks as well as they are soooo good. The sausage really makes them excellent."
"Excellent! Just as good without the sub rolls. All the sausage really gives it great extra flavor."
"More Please!! I thought this did not look saucey enough...but it was perfect!! Will put this recipe in the "Family Cook Book.""
"These our for sure the best sandwiches. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Definitely a keeper. Will be a "go-to" for years to come."
"Easy to make, excellent flavor."
"So good. My whole family loves it. It's hard to please everyone at once sometimes, but this dish does everytime I make it."