With all the cattle ranchers in our state, these sandwiches are a great way to use ground beef. I've done a lot of traveling and tried a lot of recipes, but I think this is one of the best I've ever tasted. It makes a hearty meal.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sliced mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until the sausage is browned and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the first 8 meatball ingredients; crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1 in. balls. Brown in oil; drain. Add to the sauce; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Serve on rolls. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Sandwiches in Country August/September 1994, p49
Reviews for Favorite Meatball Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review