- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole pita breads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomato
- 8 slices sweet onion, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm. Cut meat loaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meat loaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- On each pita bread, layer the tomato, onion and meat loaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce. Carefully fold pitas in half. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Favorite Meat Loaf Gyros
"These are going to be a regular meal from now on...very tasty and so easy to make."
"We love this in our household. ! Tasty Tasty Tasty !!!!!!"
"This was great! Unbelievably simple to make although, you definitely need to plan ahead to accommodate the cooling and chilling time. Next time I'll make my own pita bread as well, the store bought ones were too tough. I will definitely be making this again and again!"
"This was very good. Lamb is very expensive so the addition of beef helped (I used grass fed). The sauce as stated was good (without the addition of dill as some suggested). The second time we had this I added fresh cilantro which made a big difference to me whether I'd make this again or not."
"My husband & I love Gyros & this tasted just like the real thing! It was so easy to make! Loved it! And healthy too!? Will definitely make again!"
"This tasted wonderful and was very easy to make. I love Gyros sandwiches so it was great to find an easy , healthy way to make the Gyros meat. I highly recommend it. If you don't like plain yogurt, use sour cream, but it's not the same. I couldn't find any plain yogurt in the regular kind so used Greek yogurt."
"@muraskm, sour cream is the other generally accepted base for the tzatziki sauce."
"I haven't made it since I do like gyro meat a lot and meatloaf unless you used the seasonings of gyro meat just wouldn't peak the nose and tastebuds. Thank you "dancingfool" for saying it tasted close to gyro meat. I am going to try it. The picture is a perfect looking sandwich/gyro."
"If one does not like yogurt, what could I use instead?"
"You no longer give nutritional values. I miss this and would like you to provide them."