Favorite Meat Loaf Gyros Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole pita breads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomato
- 8 slices sweet onion, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm. Cut meat loaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meat loaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- On each pita bread, layer the tomato, onion and meat loaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce. Carefully fold pitas in half. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Favorite Meat Loaf Gyros
Sort By :
This recipe was easy and so delicious! Family favorite. Thanks for sharing this!
The meat was delicious, tastes almost like a real gyro! I did the sauce with Greek yogurt and added dill, made the sauce much better! Will definitely make again...and again!
This was ok, but I felt like the meat was missing something. Maybe a bit more seasoning? I didn't add oil when I fried the slices. I added a dash of dill and cumin to the sauce and I used Greek yogurt. The sauce was tasty.
The family really enjoyed this!
Very yummy! The hubby requests this one quite a bit. Makes a big batch-leftovers plus quite a bit to freeze for future meals! The best recipe I have found!!!