Favorite Maple Oatmeal Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the coffee, syrup, oil and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, eggs, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 129 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Favorite Maple Oatmeal Bread
"My bread turned out *exactly* like the picture! I'm very pleased with the appearance of these big, rich loaves. The dough was very sticky and I kept letting a lot of flour incorporate throughout the kneading process until I was satisfied that it formed a fairly smooth, firm ball. I just used this bread for toast this morning and it was so warm and comforting. I can't really taste the coffee on its own, but I think it's definitely working to boost that cozy maple flavor that makes this bread a perfect, richly-flavored winter time breakfast."
"Sorry, I was not a fan of this one. The flavor of the coffee just didn't work for me, and I am a coffee lover. In a yeast bread, it just wasn't something I enjoyed, but thank you for sharing. The list of ingredients was different enough that I was compelled to try it."
"This is a wonderful recipe! I love making it, because it is so delicious! I did leave out the half cup of sugar, because I thought that would make it too sweet. It was perfect without the extra sugar! This will be one of my "go to" bread recipes from now on!"
"This is one of the best bread recipes I have made yet. I made it for a church supper and it got raves. I often get requests to make it again."
"Delicious! One of the best tasting breads I have ever made!"