- 1 package (8 ounces) red beans and rice mix
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- Cook red beans and rice mix according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute sausage and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the shrimp, tomatoes, brown sugar and hot sauce if desired. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in rice mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Favorite Jiffy Jambalaya
Sort By :
"Very easy to make. We didn't add the shrimp because my dad is allergic, and we used turkey kielbasa instead of the smoked sausage to make it lighter. We also only had a box of black beans & rice, which worked just fine. I didn't really taste a difference with the brown sugar, maybe I will add a little more next time."
"I made this at our vacation home and my 12 year old son went crazy over it. I also added chopped garlic and a can of beans and decided to omit the brown sugar. I am making it at home tonight!"
"I thought this was awesome!! I made it for my "growing" brothers so I made this with 1 lb. of sausage instead of the 1/2."
"If you really want to make it easier...use 1 can of black beans, 1 jar of salsa and eliminate the onion, hot sauce, tomatoes, and brown sugar: the salsa has all of these. Mix all and cook...serve over rice. I liked this better."
"Simple & delicious!! This recipe will be added to our favorites."