Favorite Jambalaya Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper and celery in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 302 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Favorite Jambalaya
"really like it...will make again"
"I added some light butter to the rice and some pamesean cheese to the Jambalaya and this made a huge difference! Before that it was a little bland. Tobasco goes well also if you like a little spice."
"I made this for my hubby and me. The dish is very tasty. Will make this again!!!!!"
"Very filling and yummy."
"This recipe is very easy and exceptionally good!! I added a can of Rotel tomatoes. I just sent a copy to my kids. They l"
"Enjoyed more the next day as it was more flavorful after sitting."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.