This zesty jambalaya from our test kitchen trumps most ready-made jambalaya mixes. Not only does our recipe include fresh vegetables, but we also use no-salt-added diced tomatoes and our own seasonings to boost flavor.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a nonstick Dutch oven, saute the chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper and celery in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Jambalaya in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Jambalaya
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review