- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and bread crumbs. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 3/4-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, spinach, basil, soup mix, ketchup, thyme and bay leaves.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels. Bring soup to a boil; add meatballs. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add pasta; cook 13-15 minutes longer or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Favorite Italian Wedding Soup
Sort By :
"I've made the soup several times now and everyone loves it!! For a short cut, I bought a 2lb bag of mini frozen meatballs before and it worked great. Throwing in some tortellini, also great for a change."
"This soup is delicious!!! Best wedding soup I have tasted and my family loves it too. I have used the penne pasta but have also made it using acini di pepe also. The meatballs are awesome and worth it. This has definitely become one of my regular recipes that I will be making many times in the future."
"Used Acini di pepe instead of the penne and it was awesome! My boyfriend loved it!Also use the meatballs for pasta, love the mix if beef and pork."
"My family loves Italian wedding soup. Thanks for providing this delicious recipe. This was enough for my family of 6 to have 2 bowls each"
"Delicious. I am already looking forward to making it again and for the years to come."