Favorite Italian Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and basil to sausage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add zucchini. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine broth and cornstarch until smooth; stir into stew. Simmer until vegetables are tender and stew is thickened, 5-10 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 187 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Favorite Italian Sausage Stew
"Yum... The recipe is very easy.. Yes I would make it again. I did ofcourse put my own twist to it. I added oregano, rosemary and fresh chopped spinach. With a loaf of crusty bread a family favorite."
"I made this stew today and you're absolutely correct Jan - it's delicious and definitely a keeper. I was able to use fresh basil from my garden and I grated the zucchini and added it at the last minute. Anyway you make this will be a winner. Thank you for bumping it up. "
"We will be definately making this again. I made some changes, using what I had on hand.Used Spicy Italian sausage links, browned them in frypan, and cut them in ¼ inch slices.(Browning them before slicing helps them keep their shape.) Used 1 pint home canned tomatoes and added ¼ tsp oregano and ¼ tsp dried basil (in addition to the fresh basil in the recipe.) Omitted the zucchini, and added 1 pt. home canned green beans and about 10 quartered fresh mushrooms. Jan."
"This is to die for! My co-worker and I use hot Italian sausage. Our husbands love it! It's been a regular on our menus for months now."