We usually have toasted garlic bread and a tossed salad with this hearty pizza-flavored dish. —Lee Sauers, Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
- 3 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- Dash pepper
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices pepperoni
- Dash each dried oregano, thyme and basil
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a small skillet; add onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain spaghetti. Arrange zucchini in a shallow 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with pepper. Layer with bacon, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, remaining sauce, red pepper, sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Sprinkle with herbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Italian Casserole in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p20
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Favorite Italian Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review