Favorite Irish Soda Bread
My best friend Rita O’Malley shared this irresistible Irish soda bread recipe. It bakes up high, with a golden brown top and a combination of sweet and savory flavors.Jan Alfano, Prescott, Arizona
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first five
- ingredients. Stir in raisins. Set aside 1 tablespoon beaten egg. In
- a bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and remaining eggs; stir into flour
- mixture just until moistened (dough will be sticky). Transfer to a
- greased 9-in. round baking pan; brush top with reserved egg.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack to cool. Cut into wedges. Yield: 1 loaf (12 wedges).
Nutritional Facts: 1 wedge equals 227 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.