Favorite Irish Bread Recipe
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins and caraway seeds if desired.
- Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Irish Bread(16)
Sort By :
The first problem I have with this recipe has to do with the number of servings. At the top of the recipe, it states 27 servings. Above the nutritional information is 12 servings. Which is it supposed to be? Secondly, I baked the bread, as directed in a 9-inch square pan. The bread was doughy inside. It was not cooked completely for another hour! It was tasty but because of these issues, I will not make it again.
My family did not care for this bread. I didn't find it to be flavorful at all. It was quick and easy to make but that's all I can say.
This recipe was delicious and quick to make. I used half raisins and half blueberry craisins. Thought caraway seeds might be odd in there as it was so sweet, but they gave it a kind of fun twist. It was very moist and sweet. my family devoured it.
had no 2% so I used my grandson's Green Vanilla flavored milk. local company makes it every year for St. patty's. My family went nuts over it. Very moist, very tasty.
We enjoyed this bread. It had a nice texture and somewhat sweet flavor. I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins and did not add the caraway seeds. I made a nice breakfast bread.