Favorite Irish Bread
My friend Mary Manning was born in Ireland-and so was her easy-to-make bread recipe. Folks stand in line to get a slice. Serve it with butter, jam and a hot cup of tea. —Sadie M. Rotondo, Rockland, Massachusetts
27 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In
- a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins and caraway seeds
- if desired.
- Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 145 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.