- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews for Favorite Hamburger Stew
Sort By :
"Absolutely delicious and so easy to put together. My husband and I loved it.Nancy FoustField Editor PA"
"Even after going thru all the comments and doctoring up the recipe with some suggestions, this was still just a so-so dish. Definitely have to leave cover a lot longer, to get rice, potatoes and carrots soft enough. Added additional beef broth, chili powder, garlic, Italian seasonings, worchestershire sauce, and it's just not doing it for this family. Glad I only mad a 1/2 batch!"
"This will be a keeper in our house. All I did was to add a package of frozen peas and a package of beef stew seasoning."
"Excellent. IMy whole family liked it. I followed the recipe exactly except used one teaspoon season salt and two teaspoons of salt."
"Best tasting. This is a keeper."