- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews for Favorite Hamburger Stew
Sort By :
"Inexpensive to make and TASTY!! It's also very flexible - I've replaced the veggies in the recipe with frozen veggies, or whatever is in my crisper. We add a few dashes of hot sauce or chili flakes. Tastes even better the next day."
"This recipe has become a family favorite. I do add worshestershire sauce and Tabasco. It makes all the difference!"
"This recipe has potential, but is very bland as is. It needs additional liquid along with some spices. Probably won't try it again."
"I have not tried this particular recipe but I have one quite similar only difference mine calls for chopped cabbage. There is your flavor! Give it a try, along with the vegetables called for and yes BEEF broth. This is a soup and with some Italian bread or a crusty bread you have a meal. It calls for sweet basil,salt,pepper & a pinch of oregano."
"I changed it into a soup. I added barley instead of the rice. Added extra water and some beef bouillon. Turned out good. Husband loved it."