- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews for Favorite Hamburger Stew
"Great, basic recipe! It is rather bland in terms of seasonings, but you can easily add more spices to your liking. It could also easily be made in a crock pot."
"RPAP: Beef broth in lieu of water adds a bit more punch. Also, adding about a cup of V8, tomato sauce or even tomato soup brightens it up a lot. I also add a clove of garlic.Great basic recipe and awesome the next day. :-)"
"Inexpensive to make and TASTY!! It's also very flexible - I've replaced the veggies in the recipe with frozen veggies, or whatever is in my crisper. We add a few dashes of hot sauce or chili flakes. Tastes even better the next day."
"This recipe has become a family favorite. I do add worshestershire sauce and Tabasco. It makes all the difference!"
"This recipe has potential, but is very bland as is. It needs additional liquid along with some spices. Probably won't try it again."