- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions until al dente; drain. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the noodles, soup, cheese, water and chili sauce. Transfer to two greased 8-in.-square baking dishes.
Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 45-50 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Favorite Hamburger Noodle Bake
"DH really enjoyed this. It was relatively easy to prepare. I used 8 oz. macaroni instead of the egg noodles, and I omitted the chili sauce 'cause I didn't have any. A really good, basic recipe, great for those "I don't know what to make and don't have much time" days."
"This was so good. We really enjoyed it."
"Very good flavor! We enjoyed it and it reheated well for the hubby the next day.We did freeze one I will update the review when we do as some of the frozen dishes are not as good as the 1st time around."
"A hit for the whole family."
"I'm one of those cooks who starts with a recipe and changes things. My husband won't eat chili sauce so I used tomato sauce instead. I added mushrooms, peas and carrots and extra cheese. Also used french-fried onions on top. Started with half recipe but with added stuff ended up in a 9x13" pan!"
"This casserole is great, my family is always asking me to make it, they just love it. And its so easy to make."
"It was great. I doubled it and put one in the freezer for later."
"Amazing Recipe...I would rename it "Lasagna bake"...that's what it taste's like! My whole family loves it! I recently made a HUGE batch...enough to fill a 7qt crock pot. Put it on low when I got to work...it was perfect by lunch time!! EVERYONE loved it! Gave out a ton of recipes!"
"I made this recipe for my two girls when they where at home . It was one of our favorite meals."