Favorite Halibut Casserole Recipe
I've been using this recipe since my college days. I even took it to Western Samoa when I was teaching school there. You can substitute any whitefish for the halibut.—Gayle Brown, Millville, Utah
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked halibut (about 1 pound)
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender. Stir into white sauce. Add the halibut, eggs and pimientos.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Halibut Casserole
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC