Favorite Frosted Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
I serve these yummy frosted rolls warm from the oven as a Christmas morning treat at our house. Even if you are not accustomed to working with yeast dough, you'll find this dough is easy to handle. —Julie Sterchi, Jackson, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and warm water until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC