Favorite Frosted Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
I serve these yummy frosted rolls warm from the oven as a Christmas morning treat at our house. Even if you are not accustomed to working with yeast dough, you'll find this dough is easy to handle. —Julie Sterchi, Jackson, Missouri
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and warm water until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC