- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and warm water until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into 12 slices; place cut side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes. For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Favorite Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
"I have made these many times and they come out great. I have given this recipe to people who don't use yeast well and they have told me that they are not as scare of yeast now."
"These were made for the first time on Thanksgiving morning. They took three hours from start to finish, but the finished results were WELL worth the time! They were delicious!"
"the concept of using cake mix was good, the color was nice, the dough was light and fluffy, the taste however was a little disappointing."
"These are the absolute easiest and best tasting cinnamon rolls I have ever made and my cinnamon roll guests loved them. I used Butter Pecan cake mix. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!"
"We have made these twice and everyone who ate them have said they are some of the best home made cinnamon rolls they have ever had. I like to add cream cheese frosting to them but they are sweet enough to eat without it"
"This were excellent. I did add some cream cheese to the frosting mix and gave it a nice touch."
"Very good cinnamon roll recipe, family loved it. It took about three hours from start to finish."
"Just wondering if one pan could be frozen before baking I'm goin make these with grandson this weekend but we can't eat that many"