Favorite French Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 6 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, sugar, thyme, herbes de provence, salt and pepper in oil; cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- 2. Add sherry and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 4. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of toast; sprinkle with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is golden. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup soup with 1 slice bread and 1/3 cup cheese equals 309 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 1,065 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Favorite French Onion Soup
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.