- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 pounds cod fillets, cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish and lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 quarts.
Reviews for Favorite Fish Chowder
Sort By :
"Made for Friday night dinner for my family, and we all very much enjoyed. Husband had FOUR bowls! I didn't tell the kids (ages 3 and 7) that they were eating cod, and they ate every drop. I didn't change or add anything to the recipe and was delicious as is. Reminded me of the chowders we had in Cape Cod as a kid. Will add to our normal rotation."
"This recipe is too bland and not thick enough. I cooked some bacon until crisp and set aside. I used the bacon drippings to saute the onion, diced carrots can of diced potatoes and a half bag of broccoli. I added 4 cups of chicken broth and simmered until carrots and broccoli were tender. I added 2 lbs. of cod in pieces. I added 2 cups of half and half and 4 tbls. of flour to thicken. Corn starch could also be used, Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Added chopped bacon. Delicious!!!!"
"This is the very best ever. My family and friends loved it! So do I!!!"