Favorite Fennel Soup
For an interesting first course, try this delicate soup from Nanette Cheramie of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. "The light broth has a mild fennel taste," she says.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute fennel and onion in butter until tender.
- Add the broth, milk and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain, reserving broth. Discard fennel, onion and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and cream. Gradually add a small
- amount of hot soup. Return all to the pan. Cook and stir until
- slightly thickened. Simmer 10-15 minutes longer (do not boil).
- Yield: 5 servings.