- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a large saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour into crust; top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Dutch Apple Pie
"I would have given this 5 stars, however, it definitely lacks cinnamon and nutmeg! I should have read the reviews before I made it. I think with those additions, this would be a 10 star pie! LOVE the crust! I love that it adds more texture and flavor vs a standard crust. I might even add some finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the streusel topping!"
"made exactly as set out in recipe except added one teaspoon of cinnamon to filling. prep was easy and straight forward. enjoyed the pie filling but did not like the crust. the taste of butter was overwhelming. in the future I may prepare standard scratch pie crust with this filling."
"Did not like it at all/"
"Good pie recipe but I really loved the crust. Will use this to make other types of pie instead of the regular graham cracker crust."
"I made this today...not hard to make at all versus making pie crust from scratch. This pie was very good! I added cinnamon also as I read in the reviews...goes good with apple pie! Thank you for sharing! This recipe is a keeper :)"
"I have made this for years and it is a family favorite! I do add a little cinnamon to apples."
"My daughter helped me make this and she loved it. Super easy to make without a complicated pie crust!!"
"Great recipe with a few slight tweaks (I've made this for family gatherings or when I just want a comfort food dessert) you need to add some cinnamon and nutmeg and you'll have one heck of a Dutch Apple Pie."