- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, brown sugar, oats and butter; reserve 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom and up an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in apples and vanilla. Pour into crust. Crumble topping over filling.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Dutch Apple Pie
"This pie was easy to prepare. The no roll crust and topping is delicious. As I was making this pie, I noticed it did not call for any cinnamon. After reading several other reviews, I decided to add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the filling. I would also reserve more like 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture for the topping."
"I would have given this 5 stars, however, it definitely lacks cinnamon and nutmeg! I should have read the reviews before I made it. I think with those additions, this would be a 10 star pie! LOVE the crust! I love that it adds more texture and flavor vs a standard crust. I might even add some finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the streusel topping!"
"Did not like it at all/"
"I have made this for years and it is a family favorite! I do add a little cinnamon to apples."
"My daughter helped me make this and she loved it. Super easy to make without a complicated pie crust!!"