- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a large saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour into crust; top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Dutch Apple Pie
"I would have given this 5 stars, however, it definitely lacks cinnamon and nutmeg! I should have read the reviews before I made it. I think with those additions, this would be a 10 star pie! LOVE the crust! I love that it adds more texture and flavor vs a standard crust. I might even add some finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the streusel topping!"
"Big hit this Thanksgiving. Everyone loved it. Easy to make. Will make again for Christmas."
"made exactly as set out in recipe except added one teaspoon of cinnamon to filling. prep was easy and straight forward. enjoyed the pie filling but did not like the crust. the taste of butter was overwhelming. in the future I may prepare standard scratch pie crust with this filling."
"Did not like it at all/"