Favorite Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled cucumbers
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- In a large serving bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Cucumber Salad(16)
Sort By :
I am diabetic and thus was not thrilled about so much sugar in this recipe, but I love cucumber salads, so made it with some tweaks. I used 1/2 cup Splenda instead of 2 cups sugar and this sweetened it just right for my taste. I also added freshly ground pepper to taste. And I used a Vadalia onion. The 2nd time I made it, I added about 1/4 cup virgin olive oil and we liked it with that addition.
Nice and cooling. I did change it a little. I didn't use the celery seed, as it gets in our teeth. I used white vinegar, about 1/3 cup, some water and some canola oil and cut down on the sugar, so it wasn't so sour, but still somewhat sweet. I did use a sweet onion chopped, which was good. I used a large hot house cucumber, which made lots and added to the salad without so many seeds, too. At another time, I may use light sour cream for the vinegar dressing. I do recommend this salad and your daily dose of good vegetables.
I really tweaked this recipe as this was too much sugar/vinegar. It's basically a recipe that I have used for years, just different proportions. I have plenty of green peppers; I just wish my cucumbers would start producing! I'm in the mood for this salad.
I gave been making this for years except instead of using sour cream, I use plain greek yogurt and omit the sugar. It has a tarter taste but is very refreshing and we love to use it with fish.
Too much sugar and too much vinegar. The portions are way too much. Have been making cucumber salad for 50 years, so surprised with these amounts.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cucumber Salads >
- Quick Recipes >
- Salads >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Salad Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >