When my brother arrives at family gatherings, the first thing he asks is whether or not I brought this appetizer!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 48 whole medium mushrooms
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the bread cubes, Worcestershire sauce and onion.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper; set aside. Remove and chop the mushroom stems; set caps aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chopped mushrooms and crab in the remaining butter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to sauce. Stuff 1 tablespoonful crab mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p190
Reviews for Favorite Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2011
"I have made this recipe twice now, both times to rave reviews. These are moist (not dry at all) and taste fantastic! I used baby portabella mushrooms and ground the stems (for stuffing) very fine in a food processor. Very good!"