Favorite Cornmeal Yeast Bread Recipe
This bread goes very well with chili or any kind of soup. I think it makes a great combination on a cold winter day.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, cornmeal, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 93 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Favorite Cornmeal Yeast Bread
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2011
"Easy to make and also great toasted."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC