Favorite Cornmeal Yeast Bread Recipe
This bread goes very well with chili or any kind of soup. I think it makes a great combination on a cold winter day.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, egg, cornmeal, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 93 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC