Favorite Cornmeal Pan Rolls Recipe
After I moved away from home, I realized I had better learn to cook if I wanted to enjoy wonderful meals like Mom used to make! Now my mom has me make these rolls every holiday. They're terrific topped with butter of jam.
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sugar, butter and salt. Remove from the heat; cool to 110°-115°.
- 2. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cornmeal mixture, eggs and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 15 pieces. Shape each piece into a roll. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 15 rolls.
1 roll equals 260 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC