- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (4 to 6 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 16 to 24 small potatoes, peeled
- 8 to 12 medium carrots, halved
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid (from brisket)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- SOUR CREAM AND MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1 cups (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place brisket in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Add brown sugar and bay leaves. (If spice packet is enclosed with brisket, add it also.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until meat and vegetables are just tender. If your Dutch oven is not large enough for cabbage to fit, remove potatoes and carrots and keep warm (they can be returned to cooking liquid and heated through before serving).
- Add cabbage; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Remove cabbage and meat.
- Strain and remove about 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Let meat stand a few minutes. Slice meat across the grain. Serve with Horseradish Sauce or Sour cream and Mustard Sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Horseradish Sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour. Add 1 cup cooking liquid; stir until smooth. Add vinegar, sugar and horseradish. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Adjust seasoning with additional vinegar, sugar or horseradish if needed. Thin sauce if necessary with the remaining cooking liquid. Yield: about 1-1/2 cups.
- Sour Cream and Mustard Sauce Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until well blended. Yield: 1 cup.
Reviews for Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage
Sort By :
"Really really good. I make corned beef and cabbage every year, and this was by far the best St. Patty's Day meal I've ever made. Thanks for sharing."
"The name says it all my "Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe". Thank you for that."
"added 2 cloves of garlic while cooking corned beef and pickling spices as my corned beef didn't come with a packet."
"Made it with 2+ lb corned beef; 1/2 carrots & potatoes(used red small & cut some in half); used full amounts for horseradish sauce. Made it St. Pats day. It was delicious and a lot of fun for my husband & I making it. Will do it again & use a larger piece of corned beef."