Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
—Evelyn Kenney, Trenton, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours YIELD:8-12 servings
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (4 to 6 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 16 to 24 small potatoes, peeled
- 8 to 12 medium carrots, halved
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid (from brisket)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- SOUR CREAM AND MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1 cups (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Place brisket in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Add brown sugar and bay leaves. (If spice packet is enclosed with brisket, add it also.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Add potatoes and carrots. Return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until meat and vegetables are just tender. If your Dutch oven is not large enough for cabbage to fit, remove potatoes and carrots and keep warm (they can be returned to cooking liquid and heated through before serving).
- 3. Add cabbage; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Remove cabbage and meat.
- 4. Strain and remove about 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Let meat stand a few minutes. Slice meat across the grain. Serve with Horseradish Sauce or Sour cream and Mustard Sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- 5. Horseradish Sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour. Add 1 cup cooking liquid; stir until smooth. Add vinegar, sugar and horseradish. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Adjust seasoning with additional vinegar, sugar or horseradish if needed. Thin sauce if necessary with the remaining cooking liquid. Yield: about 1-1/2 cups.
- 6. Sour Cream and Mustard Sauce Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until well blended. Yield: 1 cup.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC