Favorite Coconut Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in chopped coconut, butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- 5. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- 6. Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with flaked coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Pie weights: Let pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
1 piece: 415 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Coconut Meringue Pie
"Excellent. Perfect old fashioned pie."
"To make sure the bottom of the crust is baked through, I bake pies on a pizza stone or prebake the crust for a few minutes. Good luck!"
"I tasted the custard while it was still warm and was afraid that it wasn't sweet enough. However, once the pie sat in the fridge overnight, it tasted great! The only change I made to the recipe is I brushed my pie crust with egg white before baking and I did not have a soggy crust. I also think 1/2 cup of coconut for the topping is a bit much. I only used about 1/4."
"Coconut cream is my husband's favorite kind of pie, and he really liked this. I made it with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla."
"For soggy crust, you might try brushing the crust with egg white (beaten) before baking it for recipes that call for a pre-baked crust. Hope this helps."
"Had the same problem with the soggy crust from the liquid. What is causing this problem and how can i address this problem?Thanking you in AdvanceGrace"
"I just made this recipe...my first ever meringue pie and I am not sure if I did something wrong?? It seems to be leaking some clear liquid and making the crust soggy. What could I have done wrong?"