- In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in
- milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in chopped
- coconut, butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar
- on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling,
- sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with flaked coconut. Bake 12-15
- minutes or until the meringue is golden. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Pie weights: Let pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 415 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.