Favorite Coconut Meringue Pie Recipe
We usually have a good selection of pies at our neighborhood get-togethers, but I always come home with an empty pan when I bring this classic. Friends line up for a creamy slice, topped with golden meringue and toasted coconut. -Betty Sitzman, Wray, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in chopped coconut, butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- 5. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- 6. Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with flaked coconut. Bake 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 415 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC