Favorite Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 30 red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in coconut.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Top each with a candied cherry half if desired. Bake at 325° for 20-23 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
2 each: 97 calories, 3g fat (3g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Favorite Coconut Macaroons
"I didn't use the candied cherries. Good thing as these cookies are SWEET! If I make them again, I will cut back the sugar significantly. They were also quite crumbly."