Favorite Coconut Macaroons Recipe
This recipe was lost in my files for more than 40 years before I uncovered it. I decided to make these macaroons for an event at the business my husband and I own...they were a hit with everyone.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 30 red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in coconut.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Top each with a candied cherry half if desired. Bake at 325° for 20-23 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 97 calories, 3 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC