Favorite Coconut Macaroons
This recipe was lost in my files for more than 40 years before I uncovered it. I decided to make these macaroons for an event at the business my husband and I own...they were a hit with everyone.
30 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 30 red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium
- speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in coconut.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking
- sheets. Top each with a candied cherry half if desired. Bake at
- 325° for 20-23 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 97 calories, 3 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.