This recipe was lost in my files for more than 40 years before I uncovered it. I decided to make these macaroons for an event at the business my husband and I own...they were a hit with everyone.
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 30 red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in coconut.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Top each with a candied cherry half if desired. Bake at 325° for 20-23 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Macaroons in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p33
Reviews for Favorite Coconut Macaroons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2011
"I didn't use the candied cherries. Good thing as these cookies are SWEET! If I make them again, I will cut back the sugar significantly. They were also quite crumbly."