Favorite Church Supper Chili Recipe
We grow a lot of tomatoes and vegetables for canneries in our area—and for use in this original recipe of mine, which won first place in a "Best Chili" contest at work!—Dorothy Smith, Napoleon, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min. YIELD:20-24 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the green pepper, celery and onion; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the spices, tomatoes and juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add beans and simmer 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 139 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC