- 7 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, combine the bread cubes and cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Favorite Chrismas Breakfast Casserole
Sort By :
"I "healthified" this a bit by using homemade multigrain bread and Canadian bacon. Easy to put together and I liked how it puffed up."
"I have made this at least once a month because my daughter keeps asking for it. She eats about two pieces and loves having it for breakfast before school. Instead of bread I use non-frozen hash-browns; they are so easy to pop out of the fridge and pour right in."
"I made this for Christmas morning. Great that I was able to assemble this the night before. Baked it the next morning. It was great! Light and fluffy and delicious!"
"I've been making this for years. Our family version is called "morning after casserole". My family asks for it often. I've even played with the ingredients and used different meats and/or cheeses. It's awesome for a morning when you've had guests spend the night. I've even taken it to a pot luck! Rave reviews every time. This is a can't miss recipe!"
"Very good...light and airy. I would love to try it with homemade bread sometime as another poster suggested."