- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in chocolate until combined.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, bring cocoa and milk to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake and spread quickly. Let stand until set. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Chocolate Sheet Cake
Sort By :
This recipe didn't work out to well for me. There was way too much mix to fit into one 15 x 10 x 1 pan. Let's just say this turned into a huge mess! If you attempt to make this and also find out that there seems to be too much mix, I would reccomend using a regular 13 x 9. I'm interested to see how it turns out for other people!