Favorite Chocolate Peanut Torte Recipe
This cake is so rich, you'd never guess it was lower in fat and sugar than other desserts. The smooth peanut butter layers and fudgy topping make it a hit with my family. —Crystal Christopher of Hustonville, Kentucky
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- CREAMY PEANUT FILLING:
- 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold fat-free milk, divided
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in water. Pour into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk 1-3/4 cups milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a small saucepan over low heat, stir peanut butter and remaining milk until smooth. Fold into pudding.
- 5. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread half of filling over cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling. Chill for 1 hour or until serving.
- 6. For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Cool until spreadable. Spread frosting over top of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece equals 287 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC