Favorite Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pastry sheet into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 potpies (8 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Chicken Potpie
Sort By :
"Tasted okay. My family liked but next time, no thyme."
"Sounds so good but I am going to try boiling the vegs in some of the chicken broth, using the broth as directed after Draining . It should give it a better flavor"
"I made this last night and my family absolutely loved it it was the first time my kids ever had chicken pot pie I used mix vegetables instead of the carrots and peas separate and added celery salt I made 2 pies and it was all gone in 35 min great recipe after that my wife wants me to cook every night"
"This is a fantastic recipe. It is one of my go-to recipes when making a meal for a friend.. I can make one and have an extra to take to someone or leave in the freezer for a busy night."
"This is great! I made my own crust and it was much better. I also used our leftover turkey from thanksgiving, which is now becoming a tradition that the whole family loves. Much better than turkey sandwiches every day for a week.I cut back on the butter (by half) and used sour cream in lieu of milk as we never seem to have milk in our house. It turned out great! It's hard to find a recipe that produces a thicker pie (versus a thin one). I will always use this recipe from now on!"