Favorite Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn and potato mixture; remove from heat.
- Unroll a pastry sheet into each of two 9-in. pie plates; trim even with rims. Add chicken mixture. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 potpies (8 servings each).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Chicken Pot Pie
Sort By :
This was great! Actually made it twice in one week. First time I only made 1/2 the recipe because it is only me and my younger son. It was gone by the next morning. Today I made the full recipe, I am working all weekend and wanted something here for him easy to heat up. The ONLY variations I made were using 1 tsp of pepper instead of 3/4 and fresh thyme instead of dried. Try it!
I absolutely loved this! i made it for my family and although it took a while, it was worth it! I used a rotisserie chicken from Albertsons and just used the chicken breasts. Instead of canned or fresh chicken stock i used Chicken Bouillon. I also used a bottom and top biscuit crust . (Biscuit Crust Recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-pot-pie-with-biscuit-crust-26846) To keep the crust from getting soggy i baked the bottom crust for about 15 minutes before adding the filling. It only needed to bake for 30-35 minutes.
My boys loved this. I omitted the milk in the filling because there seemed to be plenty of liquid already.
Every one enjoyed. Found recipe very easy. Also liked they told you wine to serve.
Good chicken pie!! I wasn't sure I had frozen peas and didn't want to dig through the deep freeze to see if I could find any, so I substituted frozen chopped broccoli so there would be some green in it. I was going to make my own pie crust, but decided not to bother because I had some biscuit mix, so I mixed some up and dropped biscuits over the top of the casserole. I cut down on the thyme, added maybe an eight of a teaspoon since I don't like things too heavily seasoned. Also, I halved everything as I just wanted one pie. Delish!! Will make again, and next time will probably make a pie crust from scratch when I'm not as rushed for time. Another thing....I don't think it needs a bottom crust, just one over the top.