Favorite Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 5 cups)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced chives or fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1-in. of water and cauliflower to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve liquid; set aside.
- 2. In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Add broth; bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat; stir in 1 cup cooking liquid, cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in cauliflower and salt. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and stir until melted. Sprinkle with chives or parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 221 calories, 16g fat (11g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Cauliflower Soup
"Very creamy and tasty!"
"I just made this today! It's a keeper! I cheated and tasted it before the family came in for dinner! YUMMY!! I forgot chives at the store but had plenty of italian parsley in the refrigerator, no worries, it is FABULOUS!!! I highly recommend this recipe!"
"I made this after Thanksgiving with leftover cauliflower from a vegetable cornucopia my dau. made. It was delicious and quite easy. And yes, it is a keeper, Thank You !"
"I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! My mother said, after the first taste, "this is a keeper". That means she loves it! I used light cream instead of half-and half. I used less salt because Mom is on a low-sodium diet and I used low sodium broth. It still tasted wonderful. I will certainly make this again, and again, and again ..."
"Easy to make and delicious!"
"Unbelieveably easy and so comforting! I didn't have any cream, so I used fat free evaporated milk instead and it turned out just fine. :)"
"I've made this twice now and it is yummy. All I did was add a little bacon and that made it perfect!"