We use this rich and filling soup as a meal in itself. Accompanied by a salad and rolls, it makes a fine luncheon. It also makes a very nice prelude for your dinner menu when you entertain.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 5 cups)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced chives or fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring 1-in. of water and cauliflower to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve liquid; set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Add broth; bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in 1 cup cooking liquid, cream and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in cauliflower and salt. Remove from the heat. Add cheese and stir until melted. Sprinkle with chives or parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Cauliflower Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p55
Reviews for Favorite Cauliflower Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review