Favorite Buttermilk Bread Recipe
- 6 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add buttermilk, butter, honey, salt, baking soda, wheat germ and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 183 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Favorite Buttermilk Bread
"This bread is so comfy and delicious. I love to eat it with stew and pot roast, but it is good anytime!"
"fantastic bread, I usually swap out 1/3 to 1/2 white flour for wheat and it's still fine grained and light."
"Do you think this can this be made with dry buttermilk?"
"This was one of the best breads I have ever made. Loved it!!!!"